>>>2015/3/11 'VoiceTra4U Ver1.0.3 for Android' has been released. Download is available here.
What is U-STAR ?
In the fully-globalized society that we live in, communication technologies have developed with bewildering rapidity over the past decade. Real-time sharing and social-networking have resulted in accelerating the explosive increase of interactions between people across the globe today and have brought the world closer than ever before. However, the achievement of mutual understanding remains as one of the ultimate challenges we face, preventing the everlasting dream of creating a world with no language barriers from being realized.
As a useful means to break these barriers, speech-to-speech translation systems, which allow a user’s speech to be translated into designated languages with synthesized voices, are now drawing attention from various fields. Ongoing research in institutes all over the world has respectively been taking place for speech recognition, machine translation, and acoustic synthesis. As a further step, we felt the need to connect these speech translation servers around the world via network to realize simultaneous multilingual speech translations. This was when and why the “U-STAR” consortium, Universal Speech Translation Advanced Research consortium, was established.
U-STAR, currently comprised of 30 institutes from 25 countries/regions, has been conducting various workshops around the world and ongoing research on speech translation. U-STAR and its members have collaboratively developed a multilingual speech translation system to provide translation services via a publicly-released client application, ‘VoiceTra4U’ which implements standardized communication protocols F.745 and H.625 recommended by the ITU-T.
What's New ?
- New! [11 Mar. 2015] 'VoiceTra4U Ver3.3.0 for iOS' has been released.
Download is available here.
- New! [11 Mar. 2015] 'VoiceTra4U Ver1.0.3 for Android' has been released. Download is available here.
- [11 Oct. 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver3.2.4 for iOS' has been released.
- [12 Sep. 2014] 5th U-STAR Workshop in O-COCOSDA 2014 @Phuket, Thailand
- [27 Aug. 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver3.2.3 for iOS' has been released.
- [22 Aug. 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver1.0.2 for Android' has been released.
- [21 Aug. 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver 3.2.2 for iOS' and 'VoiceTra4U Ver1.0.1 for Android' have been released.
- [18 Aug. 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver 3.2.1 for iOS' has been released.
- [15 Aug. 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver1.0 for Android' has been released.
- [20 Jul. 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver3.2' has been released.
- [20 May 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver3.1' has been released.(The update includes minor bug fixes)
- [18 Apr. 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver3.0' has been released. (Reverse translation results are easier to see / The app now supports Push Notifications)
- [28 Feb. 2014] 'VoiceTra4U Ver2.8' has been released.
- (The settings screen is now easier to use / The reverse translation result is now shown below the recognition result)
- [12 Dec. 2013] 'VoiceTra4U Ver2.7' has been released. (The update includes minor bug fixes)
- [20 Nov. 2013] 'VoiceTra4U Ver2.6' has been released. (The update includes new look for "Language Selection" and minor bug fixes)
- [6 Nov. 2013] 'VoiceTra4U Ver2.5' has been released. (The update includes minor bug fixes)
- [30 Oct. 2013] 'VoiceTra4U Ver2.4' has been released. (The update includes minor bug fixes)
- [18 Oct. 2013] 'VoiceTra4U Ver2.3' has been released. (The update includes 'new app name')
- [20 Sep. 2013] 'VoiceTra4U-M Ver2.2' has been released.
- [12 Sep. 2013] Added Members' Page (MEMBERS ONLY, ID and Password required)
- [16 Aug. 2013] 'VoiceTra4U-M' version 2.1 has been released.
- [5 Nov. 2012] Dr. Chai Wutiwiwatchai (NECTEC, Thailand) will deliver a keynote speech at the International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation (IWSLT) in Hong Kong, on December 6-7, 2012.
- [17 Jul. 2012] 'VoiceTra4U-M' for iOS is now available on the App Store.
- [20 Jun. 2012] Invitation to Press Conference at London on 27th June, 2012, on Public Release of the Speech and Chat Translation Application - "Text chat in 23 languages, chat in 17 languages".
- [1 Jun. 2012] 3 new U-STAR members concluded the MOU. The consortium currently consists of 26 members.
- [12 Apr. 2012] U-STAR is planning a workshop in London from 26 Jun. to 28 Jun. 2012.
- [2 Apr. 2012] 5 new U-STAR members concluded the MOU. The consortium currently consists of 23 members.
- [1 Feb. 2012] 3 new U-STAR members concluded the MOU. The consortium currently consists of 18 members.
- [1 Mar. 2011] 7 new U-STAR members concluded the MOU. The consortium currently consists of 15 members.
- [14 Oct. 2010] Recommendations F.745 (Functional Requirements for Network-based S2ST) and H.625 (Architectural Requirements for Network-based S2ST) approved by the ITU-T and are ready for action as standardized communication protocols.
- [28 Jul. 2010] 8 new U-STAR members concluded the MOU.
- [9. Aug. 2009] Asian Spoken Language Translation System for Multi-Party Travel Conversation was introduced in a workshop on Technologies and Corpora for Asia-Pacific Speech Translation, during the ACL-IJCNLP 2009, Singapore.
- [29 Jul. 2009] The first demo of network-based Asia-Pacific Speech Translation System was launched by A-STAR.
- [30 Jun. 2008] 2 new A-STAR members concluded the MOU.
- [19 Jun. 2007] The second A-STAR meeting was held in ATR on June 13th, 2007.
- [15 Nov. 2006] 8 Japanese newspapers including NIKKEI, Asahi, YOMIURI, etc. reported on the establishment of A-STAR.
- [14 Nov. 2006] The first A-STAR meeting was held in ATR on November 14th, 2006.